Sunday, January 6, 2008

Lucky Strike (and I don't mean menthol)

Hear me out today. In life, there are two things that are inevitable: death and winning the lottery. Come to think of it, neither would you know when it will strike you. In the lottery, you increase your odds by buying a ticket. In death, you increase your odds (inviting it sooner) by not taking care of your body - for which I know most of us know by now (if you don't, well, go to your search engine).
EVERYBODY can look forward to dying. But NOT EVERYBODY will win the lottery. And that is just logical.
You can read about people winning unexpectedly, but c'mon, when you buy a ticket, you HOPE you will win the jackpot. But not everybody is lucky enough, eh. Just recently, I read an article about half-siblings (why do they still call it that, is it lengthwise or crosswise? - geesh!), winning the big pot. They only met 16 years ago. Both were given up for adoption, they grew up far across the country, yada, yada, yada. And since then they have been very close. During the holidays, they thought of buying a lottery ticket (just for the heck of it) and voila! they won!. Quit jobs, buy all the material things, live comfortably, end of story.
I wonder sometimes, do you increase your chances of winning by having "a story" to tell? I buy a ticket once in awhile. Though not religiously as some people I've seen. There is some hope alright but not too hopeful. The odds makes me feel insecure.
Now, with death, I've experienced losses - and it can be tough, specially when you lose the ones very close to your heart. You can never know, really, when or even in what shape you will go. Others, get a heads up when their doctor tells them roundabout when - and by being in such shape, they most likely know how. Touchy subject. I'm not gonna cry. Not today. I am still doing laundry.
So, with these two inevitable events, I just hope I am in a good shape when it comes. With winning the lottery, I hope I don't have a heart condition - so when I learn I won the big pot, I won't have a heart attack that would lead me to the other inevitable event- death. Now, that can be ironic.

No comments: