Saturday, March 22, 2008

Sometimes I wanna be a BOOKie

I got a new book yesterday. Benazir Bhutto (Reconcilliation - Islam, Democracy and the West). I've been eyeing this book for a while. I saw it on the Doubleday flyer (was tempted to buy it online), then I saw it at the department store, and it was like calling me.. but of course, as what I'd usually tell myself (would I be able to finish reading it? do I need to know? do I want to know?).
So, yesterday, when I passed by again the book aisle, there, I saw it again. Little did I know that Sue was observing me, so she said, "get it now, you've been looking and looking at it, get it over with and put it in the cart". So I did.
Now, that was a long introduction.
To be honest, I haven't started reading it yet. I just read the backside, people's comments about it, and I just opened the first page and started reading the sides, and the first sentence of the first page.
No, I don't think I read that slow. I just wanted to treat this book as something special. The woman who wrote it was killed a few months before the book is published.

Usually, I start reading books as soon as I get it. If I like the book and how the author writes - like I can easily understand what the hell he's talking about, I would read it from cover to cover. And sometimes let my self go and explore the world the author's talking about.
I don't like fiction much. I love the one-person storytelling. After Mitch Albom's books (to which I read somewhere that he has a new book coming), I kind of drifted to health books - which I'd usually bring to the hospital when I have to wait for sue at the waiting area (very inspiring eh).
Some years ago, I tried reading Hillary Clinton's book but I don't think I've finished it, 'cause I still see a bookmark in it somewhere in the middle. Reason why I don't know.
Well this time, I take my time. I would like to absorb whatever insight I will gain from this book. I want to be emotionally and mentally prepared. Have a very open mind about things.
After all, not too many people can have an "insightful insight" around us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you'll like The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It gives you a good insight on what Afghanistan was like before the Soviets invaded, and a good view into Afghan culture. Great story too, hard to put down.

James

Anonymous said...

I know you will be able to finish that new book. As Sue said "get it". Once you finish the new book, do give us some feed back.

Wacky Mai