Thursday, June 5, 2008

Oatmeal Day-saster

I made a boo boo the other day. I burnt the oatmeal for the kids. Yikes! I know, I know. How on earth can one possibly burn oatmeal - well, for one, I used a different pot. Let me tell you about this pot : The first time I used it, it did easily burnt the milk, so I learned not to use it for oatmeal. Then another time I used it to cook pasta, and voila! it also burnt the pasta. Heck! I think when I used to boil some water, it also did burn the water! So I gave it a rest. I never put it on the stove for sometime. Until one day, I decided to give it another test on cooking rice. And guess what? It cooked the rice just fine! No burning or anything!
So, gullible me, thinking that maybe this pot had a change of heart now (after a long hiatus). So I used it for cooking oatmeal.
Oh poor kids. And for some unexplainable reason, I didn't make the flavor that they'd usually gobble down easy. I regularly make the apple cinnamon flavor of the oatmeal - i make a syrup with the grated apple and dash of cinnamon. That day I just made the syrup with plain vanilla. And the pot just burnt my oatmeal....tsk tsk.
Now, you must be wondering, how did these kids react or did they even notice? Of course! Well, the bigger ones did. As soon as they were given each a bowl, one started to ask me, "tita reina, what did you put in it?". And I go, " why?" and she go, "it smells different". Haha! if only they knew the word on how to say it. Then asked another kid, "ya, tita reina, what did you put?". And poor tita Reina, didn't know what to tell them - should I go, " sorry kids, I burnt it" or should it be, "the pot burnt the oatmeal!" (nah, they are too smart for that). So I just answered with, "I put vanilla in it" end of story. I went back to chopping some veggies. Oh my! I couldn't face my daily critics! They just know if something went wrong with what they "normally" love to eat.
But then again, they were hungry and they know that lunch time is quite a long time to wait. So, they still ate it.
So I just consoled myself with the thought that I will just do better with their lunch. Yeah sure, their lunch that day is just mere cheese sandwich and a chicken ala king (with macaroni). How can I revive my reputation with that? I am so done. My life was over. (so I thought)
Lunch came and they ate. And some had seconds and thirds. It was as if they've forgotten how lousy the oatmeal was in the morning.
And at snack time in the afternoon. I thought the cookie is another flop. Well, it was a flop sort of. It was flat and kinda too sweet I think.
But what d'ya know, when I was saying goodbye to them, one kid tells me, "bye tita reina, thank you for all the food". Ha! I don't think it was sarcasm. They don't know that word yet.
And for some reason, I know, my life wasn't over. Not yet anyway.
Kids. They are so forgiving. And oh so forgetful. Ha!

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I always believe that kids will eat anything when they're hungry....LOL! just kidding. But their lunch sounds YUM!

rein said...

TRUE! but you know these kids sometimes stock up..specially on fridays - as if they are preparing for a hunger strike at home. when come to think of it, some of them they eat a lot at daycare and yet parents tell us, they don't eat anything at home...makes me wonder...

Catherine said...

That just mean that you're a great cook, so burn more oatmeals...they'll eat it anyway, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Kids will eat anything tita rein cooks coz they love you...